Tuesday, May 11, 2010

“What to Do When a Newborn Can’t Hear”

I found the article “What to Do When a Newborn Can’t Hear” to be very interesting. It talks about hearing loss in young kids and the many different effects of it. Nowadays, many babies have their hearing screened in the hospital when they are born. Before babies were screened, the average age for diagnosing hearing loss was about two and a half. It was discovered usually when children had problems with their speech. Hearing loss is actually one of the most common congenital disabilities. It can be genetic but it sometimes develops from an infection. There are many diseases that can harm a developing fetus, such as rubella that could possibly lead to deafness. Now, there are also a variety of different ways to test for hearing loss. For example, otoacoustic emissions can be used. This is where a tiny microphone is inserted into the ear of a sleeping baby to measure the echoes from the cochlea when it is stimulated by sound. It is very important for infants to get follow up screenings as well. The article emphasizes how big of a deal this is and that the earlier hearing loss it detected the better it will be for the kids’ future. Children with hearing loss can receive hearing aids if needed and many go to therapies in order for them to develop properly and be able to speak better.

I learned many surprising facts in this article. First of all, I did not know that deafness in children was a big problem. According to the article two to four babies out of 1,000 are affected by it. Prior to reading this, I also did not know that hearing loss in newborns was often caused by disease, I thought that it was just hereditary. The article also made me realize how important it is for hearing loss to be discovered in a child as soon as possible. The earlier it is detected the better the children will be able to get help and special treatment in order to help them develop. I also certainly did not know that being deaf in one ear could cause as many problems as the article talks about. I was aware that there were treatments to screen babies for hearing difficulties but I did not know exactly what the procedures entailed until reading this.

I liked this article a lot. I think that it was very clear and it also was fairly easy to understand and it was not too wordy and lengthy. I thought the topic was interesting and intriguing and that is why I picked it. I thought it was interesting to learn about the many causes and effects of hearing loss, and also the many available solutions such as hearing aids and speech therapies if necessary.

Dale Bellitto

5 comments:

  1. The review for the article “What to Do When a Newborn Can’t Hear” was a very interesting article. The review explained well that hearing loss is a common problem with babies when they are first born. Also, the review explains well on the new techniques, such as the screening processes, to detect when a baby does not have normal hearing. It showed well the importance of the detection of deafness, even in one ear. It explains well that babies that cannot hear well have trouble speaking and learning at an early age. Now, with all of this information, babies are screened early, right after they are born.
    This review could have been improved by explaining what doctors do to improve to correct this hearing defect. Do they use medication or surgery to correct the mistake? Also, the review could have explained more on what would happen if this problem was not detected as quickly. Would the child have greater problems, or would curing it be more difficult?
    One thing I didn’t know before reading this review is that this problem can be caused by diseases while the baby is still in the mother’s womb. I always thought that even if a mother got sick, the child wouldn’t get diseased. Also, I didn’t know that this can also be genetic, and that it is passed down from mother to child. This is an important topic because it shows that the wellbeing of a baby when it is first born is as vital to its life and growth as a human being.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dale did an excellent job reviewing the article “What to Do When a Newborn Can’t Hear.” The review went into detail about why this might happen to a baby when the are first born. Also she gave statistics which always helps a person understand something better because you can interpret them in many ways. The review was well written, concise, and had great details.
    Although Dale did a great job, she could have said what some consequences there would be if there was a complication or for some reason the problem was not detected early enough. She could have also explained better how the doctors act when they find such a problem.
    Overall Dale did an excellent job reviewing her article, and before reading this I had never known that hearing loss can be a genetic disorder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dale wrote an excellent review. I thought it was well written, and to the point. It included most of the details I was interested in, such as the diseases that can cause permanent damage to children's hearing as well as the way they test for deafness among kids. I also thought she chose an interesting topic that was original. It is refreshing to read articles on topics that people rarely touch on because there is so much we aren't familiar with.
    My only 2 suggestions to Dale would be possibly including some more solutions chemists and doctors have found for curing deafness among children. As well, maybe refer to a child who is deaf to give the reader an enlightened vision of what life is like for someone who is deaf or for those who are affected by it.
    I did not know that deafness could be caused genetically. I knew a number of diseases caused loss of hearing permanently, but it was suprising to read that it is a hereditary trait as well. Over all, Dale's review was an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought that Dale did a really nice job of reviewing this article. I liked how she explained how hearing loss is tested and how serious and common it is among newborn babies; it seemed that she really knew what she was talking about. I also liked that Dale gave us some hard facts about hearing loss. An article or review always seems more believable when an interesting fact is included. Another thing I enjoyed about Dale's review was that it was very interesting and unique so reading it was easy.
    If I had to critique Dale on her review I would say that I wish she had included some quotes if maybe they were provided in her article. Also I wish that maybe Dale could have told us what might happen to a newborn who did not get attention early enough, if, of course, this information was provided.
    Among the many things I learned from this article, I think that the most important fact to me was that although hearing loss might be addressed as a newborn it can still affect a the baby when it becomes a yougn child.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Core Biology Aine Cain
    Current Events Comments 5/17/10


    Dale’s review of the article regarding deafness in newborns was in short, an excellent summary. It featured fascinating information, including details about diseases in newborns and testing to determine deafness in an infant. The language was thoughtful and organized but easy to interpret. The topic is clearly relevant and interesting. Overall, I learned a lot about the issue of newborn deafness.

    I have very few criticisms of the review. This is considering it was very well written. One suggestion might be some individual stories or examples of newborn deafness cases studied during the research. Also, she could elaborate upon what kind of treatment and therapies deaf children receive. These are my only two suggestions.

    
I knew extremely little information on deafness prior to reading Dale’s summary. I was surprised that deafness could be hereditary. I was also surprised that this is a sizable issue amongst newborns. It was also interesting to learn about the new techniques for dealing with this issue. Dale’s review was interesting and informative.

    ReplyDelete